Friday, June 12, 2015

Its been almost 2 weeks since I moved to Boca del Rio, the small fishing village next to Las Glorias. This has been one of the hardest things I've done so far just because I don't know a ton of Spanish. The first day I was left with the Mexican family at 1pm in the afternoon I just wanted to cry and give up because I didn't know what people were saying half of the time. Days past and I got used to only hearing Spanish, and I am trying to pick up more Spanish. Obviously I'm forced to talk more Spanish and I am learning more but it is super hard when I don't know what a word is, I don't have my cell phone to translate it and they can't play charades or act out what the word means. A lot of the time I won't understand a word and I just have to tell the person I don't understand it, which is really hard to admit because then comes the part where I look stupid. At that point, it doesn't matter that I have 2 college degrees, graduated with honors or anything like that. If I don't understand a word, people look at me like I'm just plain stupid. I've also had people get mad at me for not understanding something. These are the hardest circumstances for me, when I get most depressed, and if it happens too much in one day, I call that a bad day. But, I'm trying to keep my spirits up, am hanging out with the girls, I am enjoying playing sports and youth group. Its getting pretty hot around here, but Its not worth complaining about that yet because I hear it will get worse. I only have one more week here in Boca then the Coults will come back from down south and I will live with them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment